Monday, April 12, 2010

Ugg. . .even my face is swollen

I like to pretend that I'm a bad ass, even though I'm not. So to fulfill this I tend to do things that hurt. This past weekend was one of them. I hiked almost 26 miles in three days and the worst of the hiking was on the last day. After playing and hiking hard for two days, I trekked out of from the Havasu Falls area, ten miles uphill, steep uphill in hot dry weather. I worried that I would run out of water so I drank sparingly, and because of that I feel thick and swollen.
The most amazing thing about this weekend was hiking through hot dry desert and coming up to an oasis that looks like Hawaii. Literally. What doesn't look like a tropical getaway is the village of Supai. Bedraggled horses and dogs lined the way to the tourist office. Trash littered the yards and roads and a feeling of neglect lay over the whole canyon.
One of the most beautiful places that I've ever seen. . .and viewing it comes at a price. That price is the reality that these people were forced into this valley and have few advantages that most Americans have. I feel somehow responsible, and sad, yet elated at being able to see such an amazing place. And, although I feel like crap today I take pride in the fact that I carried forty pounds down and up that valley and I didn't let a burro or a helicopter do my dirty work for me. Survival of the fittest? Not really, but I did it with the help of Advil, Epsom salts and a day of rest. Enjoy the pictures of the most beautiful place in America!

No comments:

Post a Comment